- Describe what is SEO and why is important to have a “search engine friendly” website. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results. It is important to have a search engine friendly website because you do not want to end up on one of those shady websites that can give your computer a virus or steal your information without you knowing. Also, it is tough to remove the virus from your website once it gets in.
2. Describe what is a web crawler (web spider or robot) and what is its function in search engines. A program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner.
3. What are meta-tags? Meta tags are snippets of text that describe a page’s content; the meta tags don’t appear on the page itself, but only in the page’s code.
4. Which are the role of the following attributes in SEO:
- Keyword attribute : An attribute specification describes a characteristic of a given object.
- Descriptions Attribute : initialized a new instance of the DescriptionAttribute class with no parameters
- Page title : One of the most important on page ranking factors and should be treated with care.
- Domain name : An identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the Internet.
5. Describe what is Spamdexing? Spamdexing is technically a part of the process called search engine optimization (SEO), in which Web designers/developers build websites that are expected to rank high on search results page.
6. What are natural or organic search results? Natural search results are one where results are returned based on the natural indexing of the Web site, as opposed to those that are returned based on paid advertising and editorial changes made by the search engine itself.
7. Briefly describe the following search engine marketing methods:
- Pay Per Click (PPC) : A model of internet marketing in which advertisers pay a fee each time one of their ads is clicked. Essentially, it’s a way of buying visits to your site, rather than attempting to “earn” those visits organically.
- Paid Inclusion : It is a search engine marketing product where the search engine company charges fees related to inclusion of websites in their search index.
- Video Search Marketing : It’s when using a video to promote or market your brand, product or service. A strong marketing campaign incorporates video into the mix.
- Sponsored Listings : Sponsored Listings, or PPC (pay-per-click) advertising, is an advertising technique used to promote web sites on search engines. Pay per click advertisements are usually text ads placed near natural search results; when a site visitor clicks on the advertisement, the advertiser is charged a small amount.
- Google-Adsense : A program run by Google that allows publishers in the Google Network of content sites to serve automatic text, images, video, or interactive media advertisements, that are targeted to site content and audience.
8.Describe and give an example of white hat SEO and black hat SEO.
Black hat SEO: Use of aggressive SEO strategies, techniques and tactics that focus only on search engines and not a human audience, and usually does not obey search engines guidelines.
White hat SEO: Use of techniques and strategies that target a human audience opposed to a search engine.
9. Major search engines have Webmaster Guidelines to help search engines find, index, and rank their sites.
Please go to the following websites and pick the 5 most important guidelines for Google and BING search engines:
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.
- Don’t deceive your users.
- Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you’d feel comfortable explaining what you’ve done to a website that competes with you, or to a Google employee. Another useful test is to ask, “Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn’t exist?”
- Think about what makes your website unique, valuable, or engaging. Make your website stand out from others in your field.
- Ad content and style
- Financial products and services
- Intellectual property
- Traffic quality
- User safety and privacy
10.What are web analytics tools and what are their functions? It is the process of analyzing the behavior of visitors to a website. The functions of the web analytics are to enable a business to attract more visitors, retain or attract new customers for goods or services, or to increase the dollar volume each customer spends.